Friday, February 02, 2007

I had so much fun today!
When Miss Mary decided it was time for an early morning adventure, she knew I'd be game. She swept in around nine and whisked me off in her big black new Cadillac Escalade, to the mysterious dark alleyways of Chinatown (music cue.)
In that colorful district, there are many tourist traps...and a few hidden shops that cater to the wholesale trade. It was to one of these special "insider" dens that we found the treasures that now grace the shelves of Sweetpeas.

Mary knew exactly what she wanted; wasting no time at all, she filled four huge shopping bags with booty. I got a little distracted with all the excitement. I picked up a few packs of Smoke Bombs for the boys, a new parasol for Donna, and a $20. Turquoise Kimono for myself. Choosing the right merchandise can really be a challenge; this mental labor really can work up an appetite!
The solution for such a hunger? Dim Sum lunch at the Golden Dragon! I don't know if you've ever experienced a hard-core Dim Sum restaurant, but this is really the place to go for the best. This strangely expansive restaurant is always packed beyond imagination, yet I've never had to wait for a table. Countless carts of fresh, hot Chinese morsels are wheeled around the floor by a friendly staff who will patiently explain what is what and don't get offended if you decline their offering.
We dined on Pork Bao, BBQ Pork, Golden Pork Bao (a pattern?), shrimp balls and our favorite: Curry Chicken (looked like it was in a golden biscuit.) An early-afternoon Mai Tai just made everything just that much better.

Afterwards, back at the shop, I snapped a picture of pretty Pauline with one of the Cherry Blossom fans Mary had found.

1 comment:

Helle Greer said...

I'm jealous!! sounds like so much fun, and dim sum is right up my alley YUM.
Love all the pretty flowers, what a great idea.